Once upon a time, in the days before the ‘chill wave’, there lived a genre know as ‘Ambient’.
‘Ambient’ lived happily in the mind of Brian Eno, until one day he got sick and it floated out of him on a cloud of Vick’s Vaporub (TM). The genre of ‘Ambient’ became very popular since then, enjoying many incarnations such as ‘New Age’, the popular ‘Chill Out’ and of course the contemporary ‘Chill Wave’.
Once upon a time, in the days before ‘Hypnogogia’, there lived a most innovative ‘Dubstep’ producer named ‘Boxcutter’. He wowed his peers in the genre of ‘Dubstep’ with future classics like ‘Sunshine’ and ‘Tauhid’. His new album on Planet Mu – ‘The Dissolve’ – is like a screening of Miami Vice in a 100 ft Echo chamber, soundtracked with riddims created by the Radiophonic Workshop (which you can enjoy in the video for ‘TV Troubles’ above).
To celebrate its release, Boxcutter sent us this beautiful mix of 1st generation ‘Ambient ‘classics. If anyone else out there knows how to mix this kind of music so seamlessly, then 20JFG would love to hear from you. Incredible mix!
- Fripp & Eno – Evening Star
- JD Emmanuel – Sunrise over Galveston Bay
- Eero Koivistoinen Music Society – Bells
- Bruce Becvar – Mysterious Journey
- Todd Dockstader – Pond Dance
- Francoise de Roubaix – La Frite Équatoriale
- Yutaka – Haiku
- The Inner Space – Dialog Zwischen Birken
- Dorothy Ashby – Soul Vibrations
- Dual Unity – Mr J
- Harmonia – Ahoi!